Is there any other source of funding available?

There is an optional third step – you can also apply for a Nursing home loan called an Ancillary loan or Ancillary State Support (

If you apply for an Ancillary loan, and it is approved, the person in care does not have to pay the contribution calculated on the value of their home during his/her lifetime. Instead, the HSE pays the nursing home on behalf of the care recipient who agrees to a HSE charge being placed on their property. The money is repaid after the death of the care recipient or the sale/transfer of the property – either of which is called the ‘relevant event’. Effectively a loan is advanced by the State, which can be repaid at any time but ultimately falls due for repayment when the relevant event occurs.